Re: 2.3.21

Maciej W. Rozycki (macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl)
Tue, 12 Oct 1999 18:21:31 +0200 (MET DST)

On Tue, 12 Oct 1999, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Oct 1999, Dieter Kraft wrote:
> > bbootsect.s:619: Error: base/index register must be 32 bit register
>
> That's actually a gas bug, introduced when the gas people tightened up
> their requirements, and they seem to have tightened them a bit too much.
> The 16-bit register is actually the correct one in 16-bit mode, and a
> 32-bit register is very much not correct.

$ as -o bootsect.o bootsect.s
$ as --version
GNU assembler 2.9.5
[...]

So the above error pertains to old as releases.

> Who maintains gas these days? We'll make the kernel use the 32-bit
> register to work around the gas bug for now, but it definitely IS a gas
> bug, and it would be good to get it fixed.

It was fixed long time ago. Anyway using binutils from 2.9.1 series for
16-bit code is at least risky -- misassembles are quite normal with them,
not even regarding the linker. On the other hand, 2.9.4 and 2.9.5 are
probably safe but they are not release versions. Actually, 2.9.1.0.25
might work well, too, but be cautious.

Bug reports are normally sent to <bug-gnu-utils@gnu.org>; there is also a
interested in binutils development.