RE: Kernel Modules in 2.3.20

Mark Orr (markorr@intersurf.com)
Tue, 12 Oct 1999 02:03:52 -0500 (CDT)

On 12-Oct-99 Avenger wrote:
> Hello there,
> When I try to connect to the net, I get this
> error
>
> modprobe: unable to locate module char-major-108.
>
> Anyone has an idea which module it is talkin about.
> And is there a place where I can see what module has what alias
> like ppp-compress-21 is for bsd_comp and so on... I mean on the web
> or any place where it is documented.
>
> And one more module in 2.3.20 which is harassing me is tty-ldisc-3 , due to
> which I am unable to connect to the net. Any Idea what this is for ??
>
> I am able to connect to the net using my
backup 2.2.12 kernel.
> Any help would be appreciated.

You might want to get the latest version of pppd, which is
(i believe) 2.3.10. The source (and some binaries) is available here:

ftp://cs.anu.edu.au/pub/software/ppp/

In /etc/conf.modules (or modules.conf, if you've upgraded to the
new modutils) add these two lines:

alias tty-ldisc-3 ppp_async
alias char-major-108 ppp_generic

Now, you need to create a device /dev/ppp w/ major 108, minor 0

mknod /dev/ppp c 108 0

...and you should be set.

----
Mark Orr