Re: scsi disk detection and /dev names, RE: My $.02 on the raging

Paul Jakma (paul@clubi.ie)
Mon, 11 Oct 1999 21:53:21 +0100 (IST)

On Mon, 11 Oct 1999, Guest section DW wrote:

> So devfs is a quick workaround of this limitation rather than being a real
> cure (for this particular prob). If anyone with the coding skills is
> listening, it'd be great if static /dev could support location based disk
> names too.

Oh, but those people with coding skills did their work already years ago.
Not many people use this work, but it exists. Eric Youngdale wrote
scsidev. From man scsidev:

i know about scsidev, but how robust is it? what happens in between
the time that the kernel boots and the time the script runs? (eg
RAID0145 or LVM kernel autostartup). I'd rather use the old way, and
stay on my toes than use a script which might fail (or operator
failure).

All you can be sure of with scsidev is that 8,1 = con0/bus0/id3 at
the point the script was run. With real location-based /dev nodes
there's never any ambiguity. Which i want to see supported. If it's
going to take massive hackery to the scsi disk driver then maybe
devfs? It solves it pretty easily.. (no no.. don't go there!!) :)

regards,

--
Paul Jakma	paul@clubi.ie
PGP5 key: http://www.clubi.ie/jakma/publickey.txt