RE: SMP-CPU + IDE-HD + 2.2.13pre15

Tom Livingston (tsl@volition.org)
Mon, 11 Oct 1999 01:13:13 -0700

Andre Hedrick wrote:
> Since the old guard is now effectively gone and not to return,
> I dread going back into history to try and catch the races during the
> introduction of SMP........2.1.90 -> 95 was the intro date/kernel.

For what it's worth, these problems don't occur in 2.2.6 with or without the
matching ide patch. It's just somewhere after that that it broke, as the
original deadlock showed up in 2.2.10. I haven't done any tests with 2.2.7,
.8 or .9, but if my memory serves a relatively substantial set of changes
went in sometime in there (2.2.8?). I ran SMP + two promise controllers
with 100% stability with 1.1.???, 2.2.3 and 2.2.6 for months each time, with
60+ day uptimes have heavy 24x7 use.

I'm not trying to harp on you, just trying to show it may not be as hard a
back trace.

Tom