Re: [linux-usb] Re: USB device allocation

Khimenko Victor (khim@sch57.msk.ru)
Sun, 10 Oct 1999 08:44:18 +0400 (MSD)

In <Pine.LNX.3.96L.991009222830.8553B-100000@saveearly.weh.andrew.cmu.edu> Bradley M Keryan (keryan@andrew.cmu.edu) wrote:
BK> On Sat, 9 Oct 1999, Khimenko Victor wrote:

>> In <19991008173618.E4163@sventech.com> Johannes Erdfelt (jerdfelt@sventech.com) wrote:
>>
>> > There's 2 portions to devfs, the kernel portion and the user space
>> > portion. I'm talking about putting all of this into the user space
^^^^^^^^^^^
>> > portion, devfsd.
>>
>> It's not possible: userspace portion can not be awoked when you try to access
>> non-existing file.
>>

BK> Really? So how do the "venus" daemons of AFS, Arla, Coda, and Intermezzo
BK> handle this?

Via kernel-space component AFAIK :-) Please read before respond. Yes,
kernel-space component CAN be reduced, but you can not eliminate it.

BK> AFAIK, all four filesystems depend on user-space daemons to
BK> fetch files from the fileserver, so I think there must be some way to
BK> notify the daemon that a non-existing file is being accessed.

Notify from kernel-space part -- yes, without such -- no (or more correct:
no without ugly hacks like tracing all syscalls and such)...