Re: can't mount root fs (2.3.19)

Taoufik Zammou (taoufik@linuxfan.com)
Sun, 10 Oct 1999 00:29:08 +0200

> On Sat, 9 Oct 1999, Peter Daum wrote:
> > I am currently running kernel version 2.2.12 without major
> > problems. When I try to boot kernel 2.3.19, it always stops with
> > the message "unable to mount root fs on 03:06". I can't think of
> > any reason why this is happening: the partitions are listed
> > correctly in the partition check, partition 03:06 ("/dev/hda6")
> > contains the root filesystem, the ext2 driver is compiled into
> > the kernel ...
> >
> > I looked around in the documentation and particularly in the
> > kernel configuration options but I can't spot any change from
> > 2.2.12 that would explain this problem. Did I overlook something?
> > I obviously did, but what? Anybody has a clue?
>
> can you tell us your hardware configuration? (e.g. SCSI ?)
>
> does the symptom recur if you explicitly specify your root partition with
> the "root= " option on the LILO command line?

I had the same problem with 2.3.18 under Mandrake 6.1. 2.2.12 worked fine.

my hardware configuration:
Compaq EP-6400/4.3/64
- P-II 400
- BX-chipset with intel onboard ide-controller (i don't know which
for sure, windows says: 82371 AB/EB)
- seagate 4.3 GB ide hd (udma enabled in bios)

I tried compiling with intel ide-controller support and with only the
standard ide-controller support, both gave
me the message: "unable to mount root fs on 03:06" under 2.3.18 while 2.2.12
worked fine.
the compiler i compiled the kernel with is egcs-1.1.2

Linux is installed op the second partition (/dev/hda2). And my lilo.conf has
the option "root=/dev/hda2".
Is there a bug, or did i overlook something?

Greating,
Taoufik Zammou