Re: Name change for /etc/conf.modules

Marc Mutz (Marc@Mutz.com)
Sat, 09 Oct 1999 20:11:27 +0200

"Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH" wrote:

<snip>
> | cd /etc; ln -s conf.moules modules.conf
> +--->8
>
> And the first time you run (for example) Red Hat's sndconfig the symlink
> will get replaced by a real file. Symlinks are not robust in the face of
> backup-by-rename.

<snip>

I fear I do not get the point. If a program knows only of conf.modules,
then it will modify that file and leave the symlink modules.conf
untouched. It will therefore still point to "conf.modules", being the
new version of the config file. So that is exactly what you want, isn't
it?

Marc

--
Marc Mutz <Marc@Mutz.com>                    http://marc.mutz.com/
University of Bielefeld, Dep. of Mathematics / Dep. of Physics

PGP-keyID's: 0xd46ce9ab (RSA), 0x7ae55b9e (DSS/DH)