Re: More on bigger kdev_t

Theodore Y. Ts'o (tytso@mit.edu)
Sat, 9 Oct 1999 15:08:24 -0400

Date: Sat, 9 Oct 1999 20:18:46 +0200 (MET DST)
From: Andries.Brouwer@cwi.nl

Well, there was discussion on linux-kernel, I am too
lazy to repeat everything, just some references:

http://www.uwsg.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/9910.0/0926.html

[this is the project to do]

http://www.uwsg.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/9910.0/0944.html

Hmm... I had forgotten your complete proposal. I like it. :-)

In particular, the staged approach which you suggested is execellent.
However, before someone invests a lot of time in starting to make these
patches, I would suggest that we approach Linus and get his signoff on
the overall approach.

In particular, given that we're in feature freeze, it probably won't
happen for 2.4, and so there's probably no point in starting now, unless
we get explicit signoff from Linus --- and that's probably a bad idea to
try to press Linus about, since the idea is to get 2.4 out the door ASAP.

- Ted