Re: [linux-usb] Re: USB device allocation

Kernel Stuffs (kernel@gladden-fields.demon.co.uk)
Sat, 9 Oct 1999 17:33:56 +0100

On Sun, Oct 10, 1999 at 12:30:06AM +1000, Nathan Hand wrote:
> Devfs as a filesystem doesn't do enough. You still need a user space
> daemon to do more complex things. For example, plugging in a hotswap
> isdn card shouldn't just create /dev/ppp, it should also fire up the
> ifconfig and pppd processes. There are other (better) examples.
>
> And once you admit you need a user space daemon, then you can accept
> that you don't *need* devfs as a filesystem. You can achieve most of
> devfs's functionality using a user space daemon. I particularly like
> your idea of select/poll on /proc/devices.
>
> But keep in mind that updating /dev is likely to be only a tiny part
> of what this daemon would ultimately do. It could also start scripts
> to mount drives, configure ports, restore defaults, upload flashcode
> to devices, configure networks, notify userspace processes, etc.

Sounds like the desrcription of what kerneld was supposed to give
the kernel that I read a couple of years back when I first started
with linux. This whole argument just seems to go round in a circle
over and over again.

What is needed is a spark to ignite a new idea and I just wish I
had one.

Graeme