Re: PUBLIC CHALLENGE: (was RE: devfs again, (was RE: USB device a

Khimenko Victor (khim@sch57.msk.ru)
Sat, 9 Oct 1999 14:21:12 +0400 (MSD)

In <Pine.LNX.4.05.9910082132480.32297-100000@ns.snowman.net> Stephen Frost (sfrost@ns.snowman.net) wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Oct 1999 danielt@digi.com wrote:

>> On Fri, 8 Oct 1999, Horst von Brand wrote:
>>
>> Having _actually_ dealt with a non-devfs driver under devfs:
>> 1. I had to make 0(zero)(NULL) changes for the driver to work
>> with devfs. None. Nada. Not a line, character, or bit.
>>
>> 2. Once devfs was installed I was able to make significant
>> behavioral changes with many fewer lines of code than
>> those changes would otherwise have taken. Less debugging,
>> cleaner result.
>>
>> 3. It wasn't until several weeks _after_ I had hacked all of
>> this that I noticed that there were special functions
>> available for devfs that would have let me do _more_!

> Now what happens when devfs is in the kernel, and new
> drivers come out that only support devfs?

I HOPE it'll happens. Even if devfs will not be adopted by Linus but will be
adopted by enough distributors. Then eventually devfs will be included in
Linus's kernel. Hmm. Looks like "gcc way" -- painfull and all such. But now to
me it looks like the only chance to solve problem :-/