Re: Dynamic Devices

Dan Hollis (goemon@sasami.anime.net)
Fri, 8 Oct 1999 15:01:19 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 8 Oct 1999, Horst von Brand wrote:
> The static solution does exactly this (small wonder, the filesystem was
> designed for this kind of task). No overhead, no daemons, no database to
> corrupt/destroy,

ext2 can still become corrupted and destroy /dev. i have seen this happen
several times (and looking through newsgroups etc, lots of other people
have also).

> Also note that the "callback to userland" scheme that was in the kernel was
> scrapped some time ago as too fragile and too much overhead: kerneld became
> kmod.

I am investigating devfs solutions that won't require a daemon of any
kind.

> I'm not arguing against devfs, I'm arguing against the idea that a dynamic
> naming scheme for devices will magically manage your devices for you. It
> just can't.

It does solve some existing problems though. It eases management (but does
not eliminate it) and current system is no better. devfs is surely not
worse management-wise.

> for i in 0 1 2 3 4 5; do
> MAKEDEV usb$i
> done
> is so hard that the kernel _must_ do it for you?

Tell this to new linux users. "I have to do WHAT to use my new hardware?"
With devfs, these new devices come automagic with the kernel. It won't end
with usb...

-Dan