RE: devfs again, (was RE: USB device allocation)

Stephen Frost (sfrost@ns.snowman.net)
Fri, 8 Oct 1999 22:00:32 -0400 (EDT)

#1: If you chmod a file in /dev, devfsd does not save that change
as I understand it (Unless you change your happy config
file).
#2: The way it did at one point (Using a tarball) was slimy to
say the least. I don't know if it still uses a tarball,
some say it does, others that it doesn't. If it doesn't,
then what is it doing to save, say, links?

Either way, it's something that is not a real filesystem trying to
pretend it is. The problem of permissions being associated w/
files was dealt with quite a while ago and has worked for a rather
long time, why try and invent a new way?

Stephen