Re: [linux-usb] Re: USB device allocation

Bradley M Keryan (keryan@andrew.cmu.edu)
Fri, 8 Oct 1999 17:19:36 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 8 Oct 1999 danielt@digi.com wrote:

[snip]
> I've got a good imagination, devfs gives me a tool
> that I can use to impliment things that I can imagine
> more easily and elegantly than a pure userspace solution.
>
> Daemon: select() /dev/USB/status wait...wait...
> Driver: Hey! I just registered /dev/USB/modem1!
> Daemon: Cool! let me tell my user about it!
[snip]

That seems to be *exactly* what some of the people who are arguing against
devfs are suggesting. Except they seem to think it should be generalized
so that it would work for other busses besides USB.

I don't see how a special file that notifies userspace of new devices has
much at all to do with devfs (does devfs currently provide one?). At
minimum, all that is necessary is to send major/minor numbers over a pipe
when (un)register_chrdev / (un)register_blkdev are called :)

Brad