Re: [possible race in ext2] Re: how to write get_block?

Matti Aarnio (matti.aarnio@sonera.fi)
Sat, 9 Oct 1999 00:14:23 +0300

Commenting only on a subset of Alexander's comments:

On Fri, Oct 08, 1999 at 12:35:53PM -0400, Alexander Viro wrote:
> More or less random comments/questions:
> 4) I still think that indirect blocks may go into the page cache - that
> would further simplify truncate(). OTOH the method used by BSD (indirect
> block covering addresses from n to n+block_size*pointers_per_block gets
> an address -n, double indirect block covering the area from n to n+...
> gets -n-block_size, triple indirect - -n-2*block size) will be wasteful
> for situations when block size is smaller than page.

My LFS patches ( ftp://mea.tmt.tele.fi/linux/LFS/ ) do *allow* you to
do that, cache index is plus/minus 2G * 512 bytes. Just to support
that type of signed magic..

Earlier version was strictly 0 thru 4G of 512 byte blocks - unsigned.