RE: devfs again, (was RE: USB device allocation)

Shawn Leas (SLEAS@videoupdate.com)
Fri, 8 Oct 1999 13:06:18 -0500

From: Horst von Brand [mailto:vonbrand@inf.utfsm.cl]
Subject: Re: devfs again, (was RE: USB device allocation)

EVERY assertion you make is a complete falsehood,
and you know it. Spreading FUD, no more. I just
can't believe you're really that dumb.

>Now you tell him that he can't find out what the name of a disk is if it
>isn't on line.

Big fat complete lie.

>And explain carefully how to manage the symlink farm in
>/devices, so /dev can stay squeaky clean.

Big fat complete lie.

>Give step by step instructions on
>patching the kernel to change permissions on the modem, and how to build
>and install the new kernel, and rebooting into it, so his kid sister
>doesn't stay online all day (phone is charged by the minute here). Don't

Big fat complete lie.

>forget to mention that it might come handy having several kernels around
>with different permissions on devices, just in case. Also, tell him how to
>clone a device for the case /dev/sdc is allowed for everybody (happens to
>be the removable Zip disk), while /dev/sda isn't (the main drive).

Big fat complete lie.

>If/when he digests all this, prepare for the question about how to
>recompile the kernel so his $HOME is closed to outsiders, and how to
>reconfigure the kernel for some new user.

Big fat complete lie.

>> ME: "Hey, wouldn't you want to have to create a new device for every USB
>> mouse/keyboard/PCMCIA device you use every time you use it with no
gaurantee
>> you're going to get it right?"

>Ever heard of MAKEDEV?

MAKEDEV is a hack, with no gaurantee of being right from kernel to kernel.

>All this is just changing one mess (/dev) for another mess of the very same
>size (symlink farm), only much worse.

Big fat complete lie.

-Shawn