Re: PUBLIC CHALLENGE: (was RE: devfs again, (was RE: USB device

Stephen Frost (sfrost@ns.snowman.net)
Fri, 8 Oct 1999 19:05:53 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 7 Oct 1999, Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote:

> In message <199910072150.RAA27710@pincoya.inf.utfsm.cl>, Horst von Brand
> writes
> :
> +-----
> | > The use of a config file to determine permissions/ownership is not foreign
> | > to the kernel or filesystems.
> |
> | Name one use of configuration files for local permissions/ownership on
> | Unix/Linux.
> +--->8
>
> SunOS 4: /etc/fbtab
> Solaris: /etc/logindevperm
> Red Hat 6.x: /etc/security/console.perms

Created by userland, used for userland, the same could be said about
any script I write that uses chown/chmod. Point being, it isn't needed for
kernel consistancy.

Stephen