Re: devfs again, (was RE: USB device allocation)

Stephen Frost (sfrost@ns.snowman.net)
Fri, 8 Oct 1999 18:56:17 -0400 (EDT)

On 7 Oct 1999, david parsons wrote:

> In article <linux.kernel.199910071820.OAA25215@pincoya.inf.utfsm.cl>,
> Horst von Brand <vonbrand@inf.utfsm.cl> wrote:

> >> oh come on horst.. you know perfectly well the kernel has to set some kind
> >> of policy.. it's either major/minor's or names. no way round it. Try be
> >> constructive.
> >
> >/dev is in the _filesystem_, and can be kept there. Has been there for
> >ages, in fact. What is in there smells like files, tastes like files, and
> >behaves like files: ls(1), mv(1), rm(1), chmod(1), chown(1) all work as
> >they always do with files. This is an important part of the Unix way.
> >
> >What devfs proposes is to fake all this functionality, kludgeing
> >permissions into tarfiles that have to be created when shutting down and
> >reread when booting.
>
> No it doesn't.
>
> devfs simply provides a way for the kernel to tell userland what
> devices it has, using the de facto standard naming conventions
> that everybody uses.

Not everyone uses that, in fact, Solaris appears to use an
intereting combination, as in, it creates /devices, which is a part of
the real / partition, by reading data out of the kernel. It then
creates /dev as symlinks to the REAL FILES in /devices.

Stephen