Re: PUBLIC CHALLENGE: (was RE: devfs again, (was RE: USB device a

Edward S. Marshall (emarshal@logic.net)
Fri, 8 Oct 1999 09:29:42 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 8 Oct 1999, Horst von Brand wrote:
> > So why not simply let the driver decide upon it's nodes' permissions?
>
> Ever heard about policy vs mechanism?
>
> If I want to allow all users/some users to access the floppy drive, I have
> to recompile the kernel?? Or at least reboot? If you want that, you know
> where you can find systems that can't be reconfigured in trivial ways
> without rebooting.

You did read his arguments about persistance, right? Or are you ignoring
them for some particular reason? devfsd handles device ownership and
permission persistance.

Don't like the default? Change it. It'll persist. No recompile or reboot
involved.

Don't like devfsd? Add "chown blah:blah /dev/foo;chmod 600 /dev/foo" to an
init script. Since you keep arguing that changing device ownership and
permissions is something you do extremely little, this shouldn't be much
of a burden.

Don't like that approach? Then don't use devfs; compile it out, and be
happy with your traditional behavior.

--
Edward S. Marshall <emarshal@logic.net>       [ What goes up, must come down. ]
http://www.logic.net/~emarshal/               [ Ask any system administrator. ]