Re: PUBLIC CHALLENGE: (was RE: devfs again, (was RE: USB device alloc ation) )

Jan Echternach (echter@informatik.uni-rostock.de)
Fri, 8 Oct 1999 13:12:16 +0200

On Thu, Oct 07, 1999 at 07:13:07PM -0400, Horst von Brand wrote:
> "Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH" <allbery@kf8nh.apk.net> said:
> > In message <199910072150.RAA27710@pincoya.inf.utfsm.cl>, Horst von Brand
> > writes
> > | Name one use of configuration files for local permissions/ownership on
> > | Unix/Linux.

> > SunOS 4: /etc/fbtab
> > Solaris: /etc/logindevperm
>
> No SunOS/Solaris at hand right now.
>
> > Red Hat 6.x: /etc/security/console.perms
>
> Didn't know about that last one. Scares me, to tell the truth.

Don't be scared of that. Devfs means dynamic devices directory. And
chown/chmod never worked well in dynamic situations. You certainly
don't expect

chgrp lp /var/spool/lp/* && chown u+rw /var/spool/lp/*

to produce any permanent results. You have to reconfigure (or even
recompile) the print service to get different permissions. Another
example: Permissions for new mail folders created by my MUA are
compiled into /opt/bin/mutt. Not even a configuration file.

If /dev is frequently cleaned up by a script and re-populated with
MAKEDEV whenever new hardware gets attached the situation is the same.
The configuration file for permissions/ownership would be MAKEDEV.

It would be enough for devfs to remember permission/ownership changes
of a device file until it gets deleted to retain Unix-style behaviour.
And a reboot can mean deletion of all device files. I don't see
anything wrong with defining access/security policy for hardware
devices in a configuration file.

The one change that you have to accept (if you decide to use devfs, or
any other method for dynamic device files) is that /dev won't be static
anymore.

--
Jan