Re: devfs again, (was RE: USB device allocation)

Dan Hollis (goemon@sasami.anime.net)
Fri, 8 Oct 1999 03:04:43 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 8 Oct 1999, Sean Hunter wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 07, 1999 at 12:40:49PM -0700, Dan Hollis wrote:
> > On Thu, 7 Oct 1999, Stephen Frost wrote:
> > > devfs, for me at least, is mostly about having a nicer, cleaner /dev
> > > nodes, ones that make more sense. (c1t1d0s0-style, not this /dev/sd[a,b,c]
> > > junk).
> > If a scsi device is pulled from a chain, all the other devices shift.
> > It has been pointed out that this design is completely broken.
> > devfs is one approach to fix it. (anyone have better ones?)
> UUID-based mounting comes to mind. And it already works.

This only applies to filesystems with UUID. What about filesystems without
them (eg iso9660)? What about tape drives?

Not to mention the mess that is /dev/sg*, remove or add *any* scsi device
from *any* chain on *any* controller and you completely jack up
*everything*.

-Dan