Re: PUBLIC CHALLENGE: (was RE: devfs again, (was RE: USB device alloc ation) )

david parsons (orc@pell.portland.or.us)
8 Oct 1999 01:02:53 -0700

In article <linux.kernel.Pine.GSO.4.10.9910072322120.10704-100000@weyl.math.psu.edu>,
Alexander Viro <viro@math.psu.edu> wrote:

>On 7 Oct 1999, david parsons wrote:
>
>> - allows you to run a Linux kernel on a filesystem that does not
>> have Unix semantics.
>
>Show me a single fs that
> a) is implemented in Linux
> b) supports ownership/permissions (critical for /etc and /sbin at
>the very least)

Really? I'm afraid your conservatism exceeds mine.

You don't need ownership, except as root, on a filesystem to boot
a Linux+devfs system. It might not resemble a ``standard'' Unix
system, but one of the spiffy things about a Unix kernel is that
it can be adapted to a wide variety of environment.

> c) doesn't support devices
> d) has sufficiently stable Linux implementation.

msdos.

Dunno about vfat; the msdos filesystem is good enough for the
purposes that I'd want to put it to.

> Excuse
>me, but it's a strawman.

I'm sorry, but your failure of imagination is not my responsibility.

____
david parsons \bi/ Of course, to properly use a msdos filesystem I'd
\/ have to figure out a way to get the IBM 2.88 mb
floppy drives I scrounged to work, but I can do a
shortterm solution with a zip drive.