RE: devfs again, (was RE: USB device allocation)

Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Fri, 8 Oct 1999 01:23:54 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 7 Oct 1999, Shawn Leas wrote:

> From: Dan Hollis [mailto:goemon@sasami.anime.net]
> Subject: Re: devfs again, (was RE: USB device allocation)
>
> >Im a devfs advocate but I agree the symlink design is bad.
> >Would an overmountable devfs address most of the arguments against it?
>
> Hmm... Do we have an Open Source UnionFS imp. we can draw from?

No, we don't. BTW, implementation in 4.4BSD is FUBAR - look at FreeBSD
tasklist for details (not to mention the fact that 4.4 VFS is very
different, so...)

> It's what is needed, right? (I think?)

Partially. It will be needed, but it's not enough.