Re: PUBLIC CHALLENGE: (was RE: devfs again, (was RE: USB device a

Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Thu, 7 Oct 1999 23:44:19 -0400 (EDT)

On 7 Oct 1999, david parsons wrote:

> - allows you to run a Linux kernel on a filesystem that does not
> have Unix semantics.

Show me a single fs that
a) is implemented in Linux
b) supports ownership/permissions (critical for /etc and /sbin at
the very least)
c) doesn't support devices
d) has sufficiently stable Linux implementation.

Let's see: in 2.3 we have the following
adfs - not funny
affs - choke full of races. _Really_. It's much worse than I
thought originally. If you want I can post the local changelog - there are
biggies and it's still not suitable even for alpha-testing.
autofs, devpts, procfs - can't hold regular files.
coda, efs, ext2, isofs, minix, nfs, qnx4, romfs, sysv, udf, ufs -
support devices (qnx4 is unmaintained, BTW)
msdos, vfat, smbfs, hfs, ncpfs - no ownership
umsdos - supports devices (stability aside)
hpfs, ntfs - stability

In the list above hpfs and ntfs can be trivially forced to support devices
(heck, hpfs _does_ support them already). So _which_ non-UNIX filesystems
are we talking about? AFFS? Support for devices can be added there. Excuse
me, but it's a strawman.