Re: 2.2.12 NFS bug

Camm Maguire (camm@enhanced.com)
23 Sep 1999 14:11:39 -0400

Greetings, and thanks for clearing this up!

Trond Myklebust <trond.myklebust@fys.uio.no> writes:

> > I-m using the standard rpc.nfsd and rpc.mountd shipped with the
> > Debian nfs-server package 2.2beta37-1 with no command line
> > options. I just downloaded the source, and grepped for
> > CONFIG_NFSD_SUN with no results. Could this be anything else?
>
> Urgh. I can't recall whether the nfs-server package has this
> behaviour. Perhaps Olaf is listening?
>
> Anyhow: to make myself more clear. The problem will occur if you have
> the server exporting more than one disk in one export tree:
>
> For example:
>
> server /etc/fstab:
>
> /dev/hda1: /
> /dev/hda2: /usr
>
> server /etc/exports:
> / client

This is indeed, at least partially, the case here. We export /,
under which other partitions are mounted, but then the client makes a
separate mount to access anything on any of these partitions. One
mount per partition. I suppose we could have overlooked how the
client is accessing files, as it is certainly possible for the client
to access another partition through the main mount via a complicated
path, but I think it unlikely. So I guess either this has in fact
occurred, or the separate mount made by the client doesn't affect the
problem.

For clarity, here is a representative piece of our setup
(all machines running autofs):

server:
/dev/sda1 /
/dev/sda2 /fix/b
/dev/sda3 /fix/c

/mnt/r -> /
/mnt/b -> /fix/b
/mnt/c -> /fix/c

client:
/mnt/server/r server:/mnt/r
/mnt/server/b server:/mnt/b
/mnt/server/c server:/mnt/c

Files under /dev/sda2 are accessed by the client under /mnt/server/b,
not /mnt/server/r/fix/b. Should this setup be stable? If not, is
there anything else I can do to arrange these mounts in a maximally
stable way under 2.2.12?

> client then mounts: / on /mnt
> This can cause files on /mnt and /mnt/usr to have the same inode
> number...
>
> Cheers,
> Trond

Thanks!