Re:RFC: Get rid of CONFIG_PROC_FS, was Re: "CONFIG_PROCFS" problem

Edward S. Marshall (emarshal@logic.net)
Thu, 23 Sep 1999 09:37:48 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 23 Sep 1999, Richard Guenther wrote:
> Of course one should split the real proc part out of /proc
> away to a pidfs or the like. (mapping pidfs to sysctl seems
> hard)

This is something I've wanted for a very long time; if memory serves,
OpenBSD does it with a /proc (processes) and /kern (general
kernel-exported data), which always seemed like a logical division.

And with a proper sysctl() interface, there's no reason you couldn't do
/kern (or whatever) in userspace (think user-space NFS) if you just -had-
to have that information in filesystem form.

--
Edward S. Marshall <emarshal@logic.net>       [ What goes up, must come down. ]
http://www.logic.net/~emarshal/               [ Ask any system administrator. ]