Re: RFC: Get rid of CONFIG_PROC_FS, was Re: "CONFIG_PROCFS" problem

David Weinehall (tao@acc.umu.se)
Thu, 23 Sep 1999 12:46:53 +0200 (MET_DST)

On Thu, 23 Sep 1999, Arjan van de Ven wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Sep 1999, Marcin Dalecki wrote:
>
> > Bad idea if running with root mounted over NFS for example.
> >
> > The fact that a complete running system does in some way depend
> > on /proc beeing mounted is bad in itself too. This is mainly
> > due to the fact that all the strongly kernel
> > tangled userland utilities in linux are maintained separately
> > from the kernel source tree, and are in most cases poorly written
> > or maintained.
>
> My RFC does NOT mean that everyone HAS to _mount_ or _use_ procfs, all I
> want is that everyone _compiles_ procfs into ther kernel, as everyone is
> doing right now anyway. [I bet you never even tried to compile a kernel
> without procfs!]

I have, several times, and it worked just fine... Of course, all the
MCA-specific drivers that I used at the time had decent and proper #ifdef
CONFIG_PROC_FS entries... It helped to save quited some size, actually.

If you have 2 or 4 MB of memory, you want to cut wherever it's possible.

/David
_ _
// David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se> /> Northern lights wander \\
// Project MCA Linux hacker // Dance across the winter sky //
\> http://www.acc.umu.se/~tao/ </ Full colour fire </