Re: IDE + SMP Lockup (no OOPS) in 2.2.12, 2.2.10

Stephan van Hienen (ddx@a2000.nu)
Wed, 22 Sep 1999 14:53:34 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 21 Sep 1999, Andre Hedrick wrote:

> First test to verify the problem, build another kernel that is UP.
> Include raid and rag the hell out of the box.
that works great (told it in my posting)

> This should not fail, based upon other test reports.
>
> If the box throttles in UP, the driver core is RAID UP Stable.
>
> Second, disable RAID under SMP and push a sequencal access on the last
> two channels.
>
> What is the irq routing table for this board?
in up kernel :

[root@storage /root]# cat /proc/interrupts
CPU0
0: 159913 XT-PIC timer
1: 9057 XT-PIC keyboard
2: 0 XT-PIC cascade
5: 23193 XT-PIC aic7xxx
8: 1 XT-PIC rtc
10: 10 XT-PIC ide1, ide2
11: 10 XT-PIC ide3, ide4
12: 8994 XT-PIC PS/2 Mouse
13: 1 XT-PIC fpu
14: 6 XT-PIC ide0
15: 15031 XT-PIC eth0
NMI: 0

in SMP kernel :

CPU0 CPU1
0: 5821 4272 IO-APIC-edge timer
1: 220 199 IO-APIC-edge keyboard
2: 0 0 XT-PIC cascade
8: 1 0 IO-APIC-edge rtc
12: 4 1 IO-APIC-edge PS/2 Mouse
13: 1 0 XT-PIC fpu
14: 3 4 IO-APIC-edge ide0
16: 4 4 IO-APIC-level ide3, ide4
17: 4 4 IO-APIC-level ide1, ide2
18: 233 226 IO-APIC-level eth0
19: 1107 1107 IO-APIC-level aic7xxx
NMI: 0
ERR: 0

> Did you remove all the Promise BIOS chips execpt for the one that
> registers hde/f/g/h ?
eh
there are just 2 promise controllers in the machine

hdc and hde are on controller 1
hdg and hdi are on controller 2

what exactly do i have to remove? (i don't really like the idea of
removing the bios chips, maybe as a last attempt)

> Have you patched with "ide.2.2.12.19990921.patch.bz2"?
> New Promise OEM support.
yes

> You are required to set these for more than two cards.
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PDC202XX=y
> PDC202XX_FORCE_BURST_BIT=y

yes have them set