Re: IBM Deskstar IDE 25gb not working.

Jeroen Massar (jmassar@unfix.org)
Wed, 22 Sep 1999 12:47:10 +0200

On 12 Sep 1999, Magnus Näslund(b) wrote:

> Thanks everybody for the help.
> We tried the deskstar on several other OSes and it probably
> was an hw error.
> We're getting a new disk from the store this week and hopefully
> it works without any problem...
I also got a first broken disk, the second one (which I currently have)
does work.... only problem: BIOS says correctly that it is a UDMA disk
but Linux doesn't.... using hdparm to turn on some features kills the
kernel... My two quantums (ST8+SE6) do work as UDMA33 disks.

system: Abit-AX5 + p200mmx + Quantum ST8Gb SE6Gb + Teac Changer +...
The IDE controlller onboard is from the intel TX chipset.
(for a dmesg see http://unfix.org/projects/changer/dmesg_229 | dmesg_234 )

Does it need a util to switch it from UDMA66 to 33 ???
Or is it simply not supported enough by Linux???

Greets,
Jeroen