Re: Ext3 filesystem info?

(no name) ((no email))
21 Sep 1999 14:34:38 -0400

> Not to mention that auditing a system using ACLs for security is much*
> more difficult. And that such a system would break all mature UNIX
> tools' notions of what is secure. ACLs tend to be an answer for people who
> are asking the wrong question anyway.

No, they simply ask a different question. ACLs should normally not be used
for the part that one might want to audit, but they'll be used for all kinds
of cases where one wants to share some info with some persons.
How can you give read access to some persons, and write access
to some others without ACLs ?
As an ex-AFS user, I must say that it's very convenient to be able to create my
own groups and to setup specific permissions for various groups. I've never
seen a need for such flexibility when setting up system-software, but for
the end user, it's mighty convenient.

Stefan