Re: Oops report 2.2.12 w/ikd patch

Nicholas R LeRoy (nick.leroy@norland.com)
Tue, 21 Sep 1999 09:25:05 -0500

Alan...

Thanks again for the help..

On Sep 20, 7:21pm, Alan Cox wrote:
> Subject: Re: Oops report 2.2.12 w/ikd patch
> > > Have you tried running other large memory hogging applications instead of
> > > X ?
> >
> > Yeah... I wrote program which allocates large chunks of memory and pages
> > through the buffers to keeps circulating buffers to swap. Ran straight
> > for 48+ hours without a hitch, but the system did page A LOT.
>
> Ok
>
> > > My first suspicion is the Xserver. Its privileged enough to crash the
> box.
> > > Can you duplicate the problem if you run X with acceleration disabled ?
> >
> > I've tried several different X servers.. I've run xsvga, xs3 and xs3v.
> > Do you think that running w/o accelleration would really make a difference?
>
> Its worth trying

Well... Configured to run XF86_SVGA with "noaccel" option last night
(XF86_S3V does support noaccel AFICT). Dead by morning. :-( I'll
attach the oops report in case it tells you anything. I even verified
that the server reported the "noaccel" option when it fired up.

> > the fact that I've tried different servers AND different hardware to me
> > *indicates* that the problem is elsewhere, but I suppose that they all
> > share a large chunk of code, too.
>
> They do share a lot of code. Its also 1Mb of material I'd like to eliminate
> from enquiries if possible 8)
>
> > on several occasions. If you need me to do something to help diagnose,
> > I'd be more than willing. :-)
>
> The only other one I can think of is to hack your x setup so that you
> use localhost:0 for all the X clients - ie so X isnt using unix domain
> sockets

Didn't get to try this last night, unfortunately. My plans got
interrupted, but I'll do it tonight. I'll also try upgrading to the
absolute latest & greatest XFree86 servers.

Just thought of something that I *think* is unrelated. With latest
kernels, I can't get my BusLogic FlashPoint LT to talk to my SCSI ZIP
drive. Systems hangs hard when I try, sometimes during the probe.
For now, I just replaced it with a BT-946C, which seems to work just
fine. These symptoms are the same with my old MB and my new MB.
Unless you think its related, I'll wait to solve this X hang thing
before I talk to Leonard about this FlashPoint problem.

That's all I know for now. Thanks.

-Nick

--
| /`--_   Nicholas R LeRoy      | In a world without fences, Who needs Gates?|
|      nick.leroy@norland.com   | #include <disclaimer.h>                    |
|http://www3.norland.com/~nleroy| These are my own ideas, not my employer's. |