Re: [Q]: Linux and real device drivers

Jes Sorensen (Jes.Sorensen@cern.ch)
21 Sep 1999 15:35:56 +0200

Jos> Hi, My question is: Is there someone working on real device
Jos> driver support for Linux i.e. separated from the kernel ? Is
Jos> there a mailing list on this topic, or has an important decision
Jos> been taken on this in the past ?

Jos> If not, is anyone willing to discuss things with me on this
Jos> subject ? Maybe we can come towards a proposal to implement it.

You clearly miss the point, Linux _has_ _real_ device drivers.

Device drivers seperated from the kernel are not more real than the
ones we have now. In fact they have a lot of bad effects which means
that people insisting on standalone drivers will have to face the
music on their own.

Splitting off subsystems has many ill effects, such as:

1) A bug is often present in more than one driver, when you fix one
you can often fix a pile of drivers at the same time.
2) If a kernel structure is modified, the person who changes this can
fix all references to the structure. Yes this happens and it is
something we want to happen.
3) Drivers get out of sync with the main tree because the maintainer
is too busy for whatever reason.

Jes