Re: Turning lucent winmodem into soundcard (RT-Linux -when?)

Tue, 21 Sep 1999 13:44:48 +0200

Peter Desnoyers wrote:
> A third possibility, although not necessarily a good one, exists -
> you could make a simple enough interface to the DSP code from the
> rest of the driver that it wouldn't change between kernel versions (&
> especially wouldn't need spinlocks, etc. for SMP because it would be
> single-threaded). This would have the advantage of allowing the DSP
> modules to be distributed and compiled as part of a user-space package,
> as they would work across all kernel versions with the same rev of the
> softmodem driver.

If you're referring to code running on the hardware DSP, that is indeed
my plan. An ioctl() to download code to the DSP, the code provided by
the user-space package.

In general, the driver will do signal processing in software. It's not
obvious where to put the programming, mainly because it doesn't matter.

It seems very likely a user space daemon will do _something_.

Possibly kernel space will be used to enforce certain homologation
rules, like "can't stay off hook for > X seconds without a signal, or <
Y seconds". User-space will be involved in _setting_ those parameters,
then the kernel is responsible for enforcing them should the user-space
part die for some reason. I'm not sure how necessary that is.

There's another complication: I don't think it's possible to accurately
simulate a serial terminal over a pty.

-- Jamie