Re: [patch] stime/settimeofday/adjtimex SMP races (2.2.12 and 2.3.18ac5)

Ryan Murray (rmurray@cyberhqz.com)
Mon, 20 Sep 1999 17:50:40 -0700

On Tue, Sep 21, 1999 at 02:38:58AM +0200, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Sep 1999, Ryan Murray wrote:
>
> >set_rtc_mmss error messages are back when I removed RTC from the kernel.
>
> Ok. This sound odd to me so there's definetly still something we are
> missing.
>
> >hwclock seems to return a clock that is all over the map, right now it
>
> Could you discover why hwclock is running in your system also after the
> boot script and before shutdown?

It doesn't run other than the boot script, and right before reboot,
except if I run it from a prompt.

> hwclock should never run while the system is at the production runlevel.

Agreed.

> Maybe you have some cron running hwclock? With ntpd enabled you shouldn't

I don't think anything is, I looked recently and didn't find anything.

> CMOS at the same time. Anyway the race seems very small to me and I would
> be surprised if you triggered it at shutdown time.

Yes, since it runs fine when the system is up (and it can be interrupted
with ^C :))

> Also make sure your hwclock binary is safe. If a binary hwclock out there
> is buggy then we are wasting time looking at the kernel 8).

I don't think that's it, but it could be:

> andrea@laser:~/kernel > hwclock -v
> hwclock 2.4c/util-linux 2.9t

$ hwclock -v
hwclock 2.4c/util-linux 2.9w

--
Ryan Murray (rmurray@cyberhqz.com, rmurray@glenayre.com)
Software Designer, Glenayre Technologies Inc.