Re: Samba can't keep NT shares mounted

Urban Widmark (urban@svenskatest.se)
Mon, 20 Sep 1999 18:13:33 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 20 Sep 1999, Admin Mailing Lists wrote:

> well, oplocks is turned on in NT by default. turning them off per the
> samba doc had no effect to the problem below
>
> the situation is this..
> Server : NT 4.0sp5. I'm running 3com RADIUS on here in a directory
> marked sharebale. There's a log file security.log in the
> directory that's continously written to.
> Client : Linux libc5, current kernel version 2.2.10..current smbmount
> version 2.0.4.

What I was trying to say was that perhaps smbclient will show you changes
immediately while smbfs will not because it caches too.

> Procedure: mounting NT shareable directory via smbmount. Checking filesize
> of security.log file every 3 minutes via program.
> Problem : Filesize does not update in real-time when checked. Not with an
> ls, not with stat()

You check every 3 minutes. How often does anything change? (on the NT side
and on the smbfs side). 3 minutes is of course a lot more than the 5
seconds I found mentioned in the sources ...

/Urban