Re: linux kernel sound API spec?

Thomas Sailer (sailer@ife.ee.ethz.ch)
Mon, 20 Sep 1999 15:53:54 +0200

Jeff Garzik wrote:

> I am looking for a doc that documents the practical, currently-in-use
> way of doing things [as opposed to the theoretically-correct way of
> doing things ;)]

Not that I know of. The API doc on www.opensound.com isn't too far
off though. One difference is that mixer levels read back are no longer
rounded to the hardware volume step.

The problem is some applications considered important (such as quake) do not
follow the guidelines (they do evil things like setting sample parameters
after mmap etc.) happen to work somewhat on OSS but may break on other
drivers.

Tom