Re: Cache thrashing?

Arthur (arthur@sevenkings.net)
Sun, 19 Sep 1999 13:28:42 -0400

On Sun, 19 Sep 1999 16:24:58 +0200 (CEST), Andrea Arcangeli
<andrea@suse.de> wrote:

>I rewrote the reschedule_idle heuristics because the old 2.2.x heuristics
>was buggy and made no sense to me.
>
>The 2.2.x version of my reschedule_idle rewrote is here (against 2.2.12
>but will apply cleanly against 2.2.13):
>
> ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/people/andrea/kernel-patches/my-2.2.12/SMP-scheduler-2.2.11-E
>
>Please Arthur try it and feedback producing some performance number.

I'm running with it now. It may help some, but it's hard to tell.

The XMMS processes run less than 5.0 percent some of the time, but
they still spike much higher, up to 15 percent or so. When they spike
higher, they stay high for a while, then come back down after a minute
or so.

Running UP, they never spike up like that.

My kernel is the mandrake helios version, which I think is the same as
2.2.13pre7. Here are all the Andrea patches I have applied to it: