Re: NFS corruption revisited

David Weinehall (tao@acc.umu.se)
Sat, 18 Sep 1999 15:36:29 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 18 Sep 1999, Werner Almesberger wrote:

> David Weinehall wrote:
> > Hmmm. Wouldn't it be better to make padding the mount-time option, and
> > have the more fault-safe (albeit a tad bit slower) behaviour default? This
> > way, no unpleasant surprises.
>
> Depends on the performance hit, I guess. I can see some logic in not
> crippling Linux performance by working around other people's bugs.
> (Personally, I wouldn't mind nopad to be the default, even if it costs
> 5% in bulk transfer.)

Same here. And given that NFS v2 isn't the fastest on earth anyway, I
think we can stand the performance hit in exchange for Linux working with
AIX & unpatched Solaris/SunOS servers (and possibly some Sun-NFS
licensees)

> > I suggest you get the approriate patch from SunSolve and see if that
> > helps.
>
> Does that patch have any name/keyword I could tell our Solaris admin ?

Yup, the SunSolve ID for SunOS 2.5.1/Sparc is T105299-02, and I suspect
that you can reference to the others from this (if I'm not all wrong, it's
105299-02 for the other platforms; only the SunOS 2.5.1 patch is a
Test-patch.)

/David
_ _
// David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se> /> Northern lights wander \\
// Project MCA Linux hacker // Dance across the winter sky //
\> http://www.acc.umu.se/~tao/ </ Full colour fire </