Re: NFS corruption revisited

Werner Almesberger (almesber@lrc.di.epfl.ch)
Sat, 18 Sep 1999 11:59:13 +0200

David Weinehall wrote:
> I don't think it's auto-detectable (I doubt that the servers will tell you
> in the negotiation "hey mister, I'm a buggy server"

Couldn't mount, if mounting rw, mount the FS with padding enabled, write
a padded file, read it back, and - if necessary - remount without padding ?
Ugly, I know, but at least the unsuspecting admin wouldn't mount in
waiting-for-massive-data-loss mode.

I think we have the same problem with our NFS server (some ancient Solaris),
and, at least in our case, it strikes infrequently enough that it's hard to
guess what may be wrong. (So far, I've been suspecting kernel memory
handling, binutils, Ethernet card & driver, TCP/IP stack, RAM, power
supply, ...)

- Werner