Re: Resource Limits Architecture

Savochkin Andrey Vladimirovich (saw@msu.ru)
Sat, 18 Sep 1999 10:23:34 +0400

On Fri, Sep 17, 1999 at 10:26:32AM -0500, Jesse Pollard wrote:
> From: "Stephen C. Tweedie" <sct@redhat.com>
> > Ouch. Now every time I want to, say, perform a page fault, the kernel
> > has to check the process's resident set size against 7 separate limits?
> > And update those 7 limits too, causing 7 separate cache misses if
> > another CPU is hosting another thread of the same process and wants to
> > do the same thing?
> >
> You only compair aginst the minimum of the collection, computed when a
> job/session is started. All processes created afterwards deduct from the
> job/session accounting structure which would have only one value per
> resource.

You're missing the point.

You need to check if per-user resource limits allow an extra user's page at
this moment (not at the moment of session starting). And you need to update
this per-user account. _And_ you need to check if per-process group limits
allow an extra page at _this_ moment taking into account how much other
processes consume right now. And so on...

So much limits is really an unnecessary overhead.

Regards
Andrey V.
Savochkin