Re: bug in socket.h (and maybe many other kernel headerfiles)

Dipl.-Ing. Uwe Koloska (koloska@Rcs1.urz.tu-dresden.de)
Fri, 17 Sep 1999 20:44:26 +0200

On Fre, 17 Sep 1999 wrote the famous Benjamin LaHaise:
>On Fri, 17 Sep 1999, Sean Hunter wrote:
>
>> Why are you compiling kernel headers with a c++ compiler? The kernel
>> headers don't work in c++.
>
>There still exist libc5 systems that are running 2.2 kernels and egcs/gcc
>2.95.

O.k. I am a bit outdated by using libc5, but hey, what is this related to the
non ANSI conformance of the kernel headers??? By using glibc2 the return value
won't change!

What is needed here is an explicit conversion from (void*) to (char*) because
0, 0L and (void*) 0 are all valid definitions of the null pointer (or we use
literal 0 that is granted to be a null pointer in a pointer context) and ANSI C
won't fail and ANSI C++ will be happy.

Uwe

--
mailto:koloska@rcs.urz.tu-dresden.de