Re: Turning lucent winmodem into soundcard

Steve Underwood (steveu@netpage.com.hk)
Fri, 17 Sep 1999 18:50:52 +0000

Jamie Lokier wrote:

> Thomas Sailer wrote:
> > Put your driver into the kernel. I'd suggest an interface similar
> > to the current soundcard interface, plus ioctl's to handle
> > phone line specifics, like hangup etc.
>
> I plan to do something much like that. An auxiliary streaming channel
> is required for things like dial/busy tone detection, because I've found
> (non-RT) user space scheduling isn't fine grained enough for simple "is
> there a tone now?" questions to distinguish different patterns. At
> least, according to certain country-specific parameters.

This doesn't make sense. You just need to count your way through the received
samples as you run them through the tone detector That gives you the cadence
precisely. Its both more accurate and more efficient than any other strategy.
There are no scheduling issues on the receive side at all. You just need to
keep up, and not drop samples.

Steve