Re: unsupported (?) network card based on W89C906 chipset from Winbon d ?

Erik Mouw (J.A.K.Mouw@its.tudelft.nl)
Fri, 17 Sep 99 16:44:16 +0200

On Fri, 17 Sep 1999 10:53:45 +0100, Edinfor António Santos wrote:
> I have 2 old network cards named ExpertLan INET-906 with the
> W89C906F chip labeled on them. I though they were NE2000 compatible.
>
> When I install them using the appropriate modules (ne.c and 89??.c - sorry I
> am not @ home dont remember the second name properly) from the kernel tree
> linux-2.2.10 the detection cames ok, they are ne2000 compatible (from the
> driver point of view) and the printk say the apropriate MAC address.
>
> These NIC's are old ... They are ISA and the setup is done by a DOS program
> where I say which IO-PORT and IRQ they will use. Also the settings for the
> cable (BNC or other) is done with that program.
>
> Now when I trow out a packet the kernel says It might be a cable problem.
>
> Now I have a fresh made BNC (Thin Ethernet) cable and the cards apear to be
> right from health. Could this be that these particular old cards are not
> supported ?

Stupid question, but did you connect the cards in the right way? I mean:
with the T connector and the 50 ohm terminator on each end?

Erik

Phone: +31-15-2785859  Fax: +31-15-2781843  Email J.A.K.Mouw@its.tudelft.nl