Re: Turning lucent winmodem into soundcard

Steve Underwood (steveu@netpage.com.hk)
Fri, 17 Sep 1999 09:35:06 +0000

Pavel Machek wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I've driver which essentially turns lucents winmodem into
> soundcard. So - hardware interface was guessed and "only" remaining
> part is doing v34 in software.
>
> See discuss@linmodems.org archives for details.
>
> Now, question is where should it go. That winmodem uses interrupts so
> little that it can be nicely done using polling+userspace with zero
> performance lost. Still it is device driver. Should it go into kernel?
> [Well, drivers/sound/modem would be cool :-)]
>
> Then, there's v34 stack. It is not written yet, but it will eventually
> get written. It needs sort of realtime guarantees. Should it go into
> kernel?

Is that correct? The Lucent chipset I have seen has a real DSP, but no
microcontroller (perhaps there is another Lucent chipset than the one I have
seen). Surely the V34 and V90 part exists, and all that is needed is the
V42bis part? That should be far easier to do, but it means working out how to
interact with the software in the DSP.

I don't think a free V90 is possible, because of IP issues, and I seem to
remember there are some IP issues with V34 too. Even V42bis had IP problems
with the compression technique, but I think something has been resolved
there. As usual the toughest engineering problems have law degrees.

Steve