Re: no data from /dev/random on udb alpha

Matti Aarnio (matti.aarnio@sonera.fi)
Fri, 17 Sep 1999 11:58:43 +0300

On Fri, Sep 17, 1999 at 10:39:27AM +0200, Robin Elfrink wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone tell me why there's no data from /dev/random on linux-alpha?
>
> The system is an UDB Multia, running stock redhat-6.0 (kernel 2.2.5). Also
> tried 2.2.11, that doesn't give anything either.

/dev/random is blocking interface that only gives as much
random bytes as it estimates there to be entropy.
Then it blocks until more entropy has been collected
from the system
/dev/urandom is non-blocking interface, which will happily
delpete the entropy pool to supply you random bytes.