Re: mlockability

Juan Carlos Castro y Castro (jcastro@appi.com.br)
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 14:18:56 -0300

--------------424785CD49B92AAFCF9DA461

Savochkin Andrey Vladimirovich wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 15, 1999 at 03:59:47PM -0300, Juan Carlos Castro y Castro wrote:
> > "Stephen C. Tweedie" wrote:
> > > It needs to be per-user, not just per-process, but yes this would be a
> > > useful thing to do. The beancounter patches floating about already
> > > implement a lot of the necessary framework for this.
> >
> > Can you pass us a link? And what are these patches for?
>
> ftp://ftp.nc.orc.ru/pub/Linux/people/saw/kernel/userbean.5
>
> This patch was exactly for per-user resource accounting.
> In particular it accounts and imposes limits on the total amount of memory
> mlock()ed by processes of a particular user.
>
> As far as I can see it's safe with the patch to allow unprivileged users to
> mlock() certain amount of memory with the proper limits configured.

Sounds good. It seems the work is already done. But all I found is the patch
itself. No clue as to what version of kernel it is, and no other info besides
those in the config comments. Anyone has a clue on that or should I just email
the author? And what about stability? Anyone has this patch running in
production machines?

This is one particular patch I think should really go mainstream. What's the
Voice of the People?

Cya,

--------------424785CD49B92AAFCF9DA461

begin:vcard
n:Castro;Juan
tel;work:55 (21) 540-9100
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.appi.com.br/jcastro
org:APPI Informática Ltda.;Desenvolvimento
adr:;;Av. Ataulfo de Paiva, 135/1410;Rio de Janeiro;RJ;22449-900;Brazil
version:2.1
email;internet:jcastro@appi.com.br
title:Consultor
note:One man alone cannot fight the future. USE LINUX!
x-mozilla-cpt:;28896
fn:Juan Carlos Castro y Castro
end:vcard