Re: Accountability

Steve Dodd (dirk@loth.demon.co.uk)
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 16:37:54 +0100

On Thu, Sep 16, 1999 at 10:46:10AM +0200, Chipzz wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Sep 1999, David Parsons wrote:

> > You might as well give up on Linux now, because we already have
> > patches going out that introduce new and improved bugs. That's
> > life, and you're going to have to deal with it.

[snip]
> With Linux, you get new features in the development kernels, then you get
> a feature freeze, and finally you get a code freeze where all of the bugs
> are ironed out. And if even that is not good enough for you, you can al-
> ways use the stable series where even more bugs get fixed.

Yes, 'stable' kernels aren't perhaps always as stable as they might be, but
this seems to be pretty rare.

The big plus point is that you have the source kicking around. So if you decide
that 1.2.x was your ideal kernel, and you don't want any of the features that
later versions add, you can continue to maintain it, backport drivers, fix
bugs, etc.

--
"Friends help you move.  Real friends help you move bodies."