Re: NFS corruption revisited

David Weinehall (tao@acc.umu.se)
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 12:03:08 +0200 (MET_DST)

On Thu, 16 Sep 1999, David Woodhouse wrote:

> > On Wed, 15 Sep 1999 nathan.zook@amd.com wrote:
> > > Umm... Would it be out of the question to add a "nopad" option to nfs
> > > mounts in /etc/fstab?
>
> tao@acc.umu.se said:
> > Bummer, of course I meant mount-time, not boot time... Silly me.
>
> Even better, would it be possible to automatically detect (or crash) these
> broken servers at mount time, rather than needing a mount option?

Well, we definitely don't want to crash them. It's hard to gain sympathy
for Linux that way ("Hey, our servers crash when we connect Linux clients
to them, but it works fine with Solaris, *BSD, Irix, etc.")

I don't think it's auto-detectable (I doubt that the servers will tell you
in the negotiation "hey mister, I'm a buggy server"

/David
_ _
// David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se> /> Northern lights wander \\
// Project MCA Linux hacker // Dance across the winter sky //
\> http://www.acc.umu.se/~tao/ </ Full colour fire </