Re: Keyboard control

Mike A. Harris (mharris@meteng.on.ca)
Wed, 15 Sep 1999 23:12:36 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 10 Sep 1999, Jörg Pleumann wrote:

>I have a console application for i386 Linux that needs some more
>keyboard information than Curses/Terminfo is able to deliver. As an
>example, there are keystrokes that are used in the application (e.g.
>SHIFT-CURSOR for block marking, since it is a port from the Windows
>world), but neither Xterm nor the Linux console seems to support these
>keys. Also it would be nice to get information on the current state of
>several special keys like ALT, CTRL etc.

Look at the source for midnight commander. It's editor uses
shift-arrow keys.

>The application already works using Curses/Terminfo, but I'd like to be
>able to detect whether the console is on the local PC and enable a
>different keyboard handling if this is the case. I just don't know
>how... I noticed that there are "ioctl" codes looking like keyboard
>stuff in "kd.h", but I have no information on parameters etc. - actually
>I don't even know which device to use.

Again, look at mc's code. It does this as well.

>Can anyone point me to some online documentation about this? It would
>also be nive to have some similar information on mouse programming and
>(please don't laugh) controlling the speaker, if this is possible. :-)

For the mouse, look at the docs for gpm, and also svgalib, vga.h,
vgagl.h, etc..

--
Mike A. Harris                                     Linux advocate
Computer Consultant                                  GNU advocate

Ya dee buckity, rum ting tee toooo, mi - mi - mi, yaaooooooo.... (King Otto)