Re: > 15,000 Simultaneous Connections

Robert de Vries (rhdv@rhdv.cistron.nl)
Wed, 15 Sep 1999 23:36:21 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 15 Sep 1999, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Sep 1999 23:39:01 -0700 (PDT), Gideon Glass
> <gid@cobaltnet.com> said:
>
> > I believe that the API presented in the Banga/Mogul/Druschel paper
> > lets you retrieve N events at one time, in order to amortize the cost
> > of the dequeuing operation.
>
> Fine, I'd be more than happy to see us add a sigwaitinfos() call to
> pass multiple siginfos at once. I'd rather do that than change the
> underlying siginfo mechanism that already exists in Linux.
>
> > Advantanges over sigwaitinfo():
>
> > - can dequeue multiple events in one call
>
> So fix sigwaitinfo, don't redo from scratch.

Hmmm, that would change the POSIX definition of the call. You have to
create a new system call sigwait_bunch_of_infos() or something. :)
This stuff is real tricky in a multithreaded app, where you might want to
dequeue siginfo's in multiple threads. Not that this is possible with the
current Linux implementation of POSIX threads....

Robert

--
Robert de Vries
rhdv@rhdv.cistron.nl