Re: NFS corruption revisited

Trond Myklebust (trond.myklebust@fys.uio.no)
15 Sep 1999 22:23:01 +0200

Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> writes:

> > Umm... Would it be out of the question to add a "nopad" option to nfs
> > mounts in /etc/fstab?
>
> If you want to contribute the code to rewrite that part of the RPC layer
> sure

It's not really that difficult to code. It could be done with a simple
mount flag exactly like we do for 'nolock'.

The recipe is as follows:
- Define another flag in nfs_mount.h (NFS_MOUNT_NOPAD) which is
passed via the nfs_mount_data into the server->flags.
- Define some simple way of passing it through 'struct
nfs_writeargs', from nfs_proc_write() and create_write_request()
to nfs_xdr_writeargs().
- replace the #ifdef in nfs_xdr_writeargs().

You'll then have to convince Andries to accept another mount flag in
the nfs_mount.c parser, and finally convince Linus to accept a patch
for a bug that isn't in our kernel.

Guess which is the difficult bit ;-)...

Cheers,
Trond